Our mission for 32 years has been “to discover the gifts in every
And 2013-14 is another full and lively year at Almaden Country School, centering on the joyful discoveries and successes taking place in our classrooms, outdoor spaces, and enrichment programs.
I’m proud to share just a few highlights with you, among many more you’ll encounter as you explore our website:
- We’re proud to be voted “Best of the Best” by Bay Area Parent Magazine, capping our fifth consecutive year of earning “Best of the Best” honors among all the independent and public schools in the South Bay.
- ACS is one of 60 acclaimed independent schools in the U.S. participating in a national research study that measures how effectively leading schools deliver 21st century skills to our students. We’re thrilled to be among some of the nation’s finest independent schools piloting the new Mission Skills Assessment (MSA) this year.
- ACS is among the first South Bay schools to feature the new leading-edge EV3 Lego Robotics system, enhancing our engineering units in our integrated hands-on STEM programming across the elementary and middle school grades.
We’re excited about the accolades and these and forward-looking initiatives, which emerge from the school’s proven instructional philosophy
and the deep respect for childhood that sets ACS apart.
When Nan Hunter founded Almaden Country School in 1982, she realized “a mother’s dream” — establishing a new type of school, where teachers shape instruction according to the students' individual learning styles, and where children experience joy in learning.
This instructional philosophy is proven by every measure of success over the past three decades, as is evident in the success of our graduates
at the rigorous high schools and colleges they go on to attend, and more importantly in the character and poise of the young people we shape at ACS.
Our purpose as a school is clear:
- We want children to experience success at school, because early success breeds confidence;
- We want to nourish their creativity, wonder, fortitude and teamwork in preparation for the demands of the future; and
- We want them to be fulfilled during their journey at our school.
In the process, our students grow into delightful young people: considerate, concerned, confident and ready to make significant contributions to the world-at-large. At Almaden Country School, we prepare children to live extraordinary lives.
Enjoy viewing our website, and I hope to see you during a campus visit soon.
Dr. Olaf Jorgenson
Head of School