At Almaden Country School, we focus on each child as an individual who is accepted and valued. We offer continuity and consistency across a curriculum designed to develop the whole child.
In addition to language arts, mathematics, and social studies, all elementary (K-5) students take classes in art, science, physical education, music and drama, taught by specialist teachers.
- Students begin instruction in French language and culture starting in second grade.
- Technology is assimilated into the academic curricula using our Computer Lab and classroom resources including iPads, MacBooks, and ActivBoard interactive electronic whiteboards. Our students come to view technology as integral to the learning process.
- We use SRA/Open Court's "Imagine It" for language arts and literature studies, and Harcourt's "HSP California Math" program as the base for teaching mathematics.
- Our systematic reading instruction program balances phonics and authentic literature with explicit skills instruction, thoroughly addressing decoding and encoding skills, comprehension strategies, and a broad range of writing and language skills.
- Children studying mathematics at all levels are actively involved in thinking skills, problem-solving strategies, projects and real-life applications that enable them to develop a thorough understanding of the material.
Teachers tuned in
ACS teachers employ a multi-sensory approach and differentiate instruction and accommodate varied types of learners.
The formative elementary years provide a strong foundation for future academic and social growth. Our elementary school faculty and program are dedicated to providing a safe, rich environment in which students explore and research ideas, develop higher-level thinking skills, and become independent, self-directed, joyful learners.