Second graders apply their curiosity and excitement to new challenges, including the study of French language and culture, a biography book report (students dress in character to present their report), and an action-packed Pioneer Day where the students make butter, learn to weave and participate in traditional period dancing.
Our second grade homeroom teachers provide instruction in Language Arts, Math, and Social Studies.
Language Arts• Novels
• Fairy tales, biographies and early American history
• Phonemic awareness, phonics, spelling and vocabulary, grammar
• Writing, printing, introduction to cursive
• Reading for understanding and fluency, listening skills
• Book reports with a presentation
Math• Study numbers 0-1000
• Hundreds place value
• Addition and subtraction
• Simple fractions
• Money, weight, volume, time
• Introduction to multiplication as repeated addition
Social Studies• Family ties
• Calendars and timelines, using references and other sources
• U.S. and world geography, mapping
• Food production, economics
• National symbols, government
• Discovering our past (early U.S. history) people, places and holidays
DramaStudents learn the fundamentals of performance during 8 weeks of rehearsing a full-length musical theater performance. Each student gains self-confidence by actively performing on the stage. The students' efforts culminate in a final production with two live performances for students and parents.
• Learn memorization, characterization
• Develop acting and performance skills including music and singing, timing and choreography
• Learn costuming, set design, stage balance and stage directions
Drama teacher, 8 week unit
MusicMusic at ACS incorporates tonal instruments, dance, and voice in the Orff Program.
• Basic music theory as a foundation for reading music
• Integrate movement and dance while developing their voices and discovering the joy of singing
• Learn the songs of our country and other cultures
• Experience the beauty of great works of music and learn about the composers who wrote them
Music teacher, 1 class per week
ArtStudents explore their unique creative abilities while they experience and develop artistic skills using a variety of media and subjects; student artwork is displayed in ASSETS, our school-wide talent show, and in a variety of local art exhibitions.
Art teacher, 2 classes per week
French• Introduction to elementary vocabulary and grammar
• Oral practice, role-play and traditional French songs
• Conversation with simple sentence structure
• Use of thematic units and integration with Social Studies
• Exposure to French history, culture, and cuisine
French teacher, 2 classes per week
Science• Earth habitats and food webs
• Water cycle and ocean habitats
• Dinosaurs, fossils and camouflage
• Electricity and magnetism
• Planets of our Solar System, including a visit to the Star Lab
Learn about natural cycles and how they are connected
• Understand cause and effect, observation, problem solving using hypotheses, and teamwork
Science teacher, 2 classes per week
TechnologyStudents visit our fully-equipped computer lab to learn about technology and apply skills. Second grade students use ActivBoards and iPads for projects, activities, research and demonstrations.
Technology teacher, with lab visits as scheduled
LibrarySecond grade students visit the library once a week. Our full-time librarian reads stories to the class, and students are encouraged to check out books to bring home.
Librarian, 1 class per week
Physical EducationRegular weekly P.E. instruction builds fitness, coordination and skill progression, while increasing students' readiness to learn in all subjects.
PE Specialist teacher, 3 classes per week