The Middle School years (6-8 grade) at Almaden Country School are focused on challenging young people, building their confidence and preparing them for the rigorous demands of the excellent high schools to which our students matriculate.
The ACS Middle School curriculum presents demanding academic core classes, balanced by a broad selection of high-interest elective courses. The school day consists of seven 50-minute periods with five core subjects — English language and literature, mathematics, social studies, science and physical education — along with two elective courses. Our Middle School Homework Center is available for quiet guided study after school on four days each week.
We know that maintaining an open channel of communication between parents and teachers is vital to student success. One tool we use to facilitate communication is our online student gradebook, which enables parents and students up-to-date access to their academic progress, and allows direct communication with teachers about the status of specific projects, classwork and assessments.
Throughout Middle School, our dedicated, dynamic teachers share their enthusiasm, love of children, and areas of expertise with the students they serve, challenging them to become critical thinkers and problem-solvers, and to experience the joy of accomplishing challenging academic tasks and projects.
Our Middle School students enjoy diverse co-curricular activities reflecting the school’s emphasis on well-roundedness:
- After-school intramural sports promote the values of sportsmanship and camaraderie;
- Our “Big Buddy” program encourages school spirit and unity and builds on our Character and Competence curriculum;
- A service learning program in which all Middle School students work collaboratively in an area of need that matters to them, contributing to the community while learning about civics and leadership. Students develop and lead projects drawn from five categories: Environment, Health and Human Services, Public Safety, Education, and Social Issues;
- The Service and Leadership elective courses — comprising one of our graduation requirements — cultivate social awareness, leadership, and empathy;
- Performing arts electives promote and develop individual talents and passions; and
- Exciting field trips, overnight excursions and our very popular EDGE Day activities provide firsthand opportunities for our Middle School students to apply their learning, try new and unfamiliar experiences, and develop their self-confidence.
All of our academic and co-curricular programs in grades 6-8 encourage friendships and social skill building, and our Middle School socials often have high attendance reflecting the sense of unity young people enjoy in the Middle School at ACS.
The Middle School years can be challenging on many levels for both boys and girls due to the many developmental changes they experience. Middle School students at ACS find a safe, welcoming, and stimulating learning environment, where individuals are recognized for their unique gifts and talents in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Our dynamic curriculum, the support of nurturing, talented teachers, and a warm spirit of friendship result in happy, confident, well-prepared young men and women who are ready for the world of high school and beyond.